Alex J. BrownPartner
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeState of Maryland
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Defense Research Institute
American Bar Association
Mr. Brown and his team regularly litigate in both Federal and State courts throughout the country. He has obtained numerous remarkably successful results for insurer and policyholder clients in insurance coverage disputes. Alex has the background and experience in insurance matters to promptly identify the key issues, and the skills to effectively execute a game plan that most efficiently meets the client’s goals - whether that means finding the pressure points to force a quick settlement or taking the case to trial.
In the last year, Mr. Brown was lead counsel in several multimillion dollar trial verdicts on behalf of his clients. One of which was the largest punitive damage award against an individual defendant in Maryland history.
Administrative and Regulatory Matters
Mr. Brown is a former Assistant Attorney General and Senior Counsel to the Maryland Insurance Administration. Insurance companies, professionals and policyholders routinely call on Alex to guide them through government investigations and to represent them in administrative litigation. Alex’s government service has helped him develop the unique skill set required to zealously represent his clients while respecting the significant role that regulators play in closely governing the domestic insurance marketplace.
Mr. Brown has a wealth of experience in transactional matters. Mr. Brown is routinely called upon to advise commercial clients on the insurance coverage they maintain for their businesses, as well as related issues involving claims avoidance and minimization of claims. Alex does not sell insurance, and is free to objectively apply his litigation and insurance experience in recommending changes to his client’s insurance portfolios. When his clients have claims, Mr. Brown provides valuable insight in preparing claim documents and dealing with insurance companies to maximize claims recovery. Mr. Brown has also had the benefit of seeing these issues from the insurer perspective, having assisted insurers in drafting of insurance policy language. Alex draws on these wide-ranging experiences in preparing a wide variety of insurance documents for a diverse group of commercial clients.
- Lead counsel in a $15 million verdict on behalf of insurance company client in a commercial litigation dispute (2012).
- Lead counsel in obtaining jury verdict of $1.8 million on behalf of individual client against UBS Financial Services and its employee. Jury found fraud and awarded punitive damages (2012).
- Led the drafting of an appellate brief in a case where the Maryland Insurance Commissioner‘s interpretation and application of a Maryland insurance statute was upheld by Maryland’s highest appellate court;
- Represented owners of apartment complexes in making a claim for property damage and liability coverage arising from outbreak of Legionnaire’s disease and successfully convinced a large commercial insurer to withdraw its denial of the claim and to provide coverage;
- Successfully defended a determination by Maryland Insurance Commissioner that a large national insurer’s handling of property damage claim was arbitrary and capricious, an exceedingly difficult standard to meet under Maryland insurance statutes;
- Defended a large national insurer against a complex property damage claim, resulting in efficient resolution of claim for a small fraction of claimed amount;
- Lead a team of attorneys in bringing a multimillion dollar insurance claim by owners of a mixed use commercial development , resulting in a commercial insurer paying policy limits;
- Participated on a team of attorneys representing an insurance syndicate in the defense of multimillion dollar insurance claims made by a multi–national corporation;
- Participated on a team of attorneys representing a commercial policyholder litigating a multi–million dollar insurance claim for property damage and business interruption.
2010 Senior Counsel, Maryland Insurance Administration
2004–2007 Assistant Attorney General, Maryland Insurance Administration
"Recent Developments in Coverage for Intellectual Property Claims," ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 44, No. 2 (2009).
"Recent Developments in Coverage for Intellectual Property Claims," ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 45, No. 2 (2010).
J.D. magna cum laude, University of Baltimore School of Law (Baltimore, Maryland), 1999
Heuisler Honor Society (Top 10%)
B.A. in English, University of the South (Sewanee, Tennessee), 1995