J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2002
B.A., University of California at San Diego, 1999
Magna Cum Laude
JurisdictionsDistrict of Columbia
State of California
State of Georgia
State of Maryland
United States District Court: Eastern and Southern Districts of California; District of Columbia; Northern District of Georgia; District of Maryland
United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth and Eleventh Circuits
American Bar Association
Bar Association for Baltimore City
Baltimore County Bar Association
State Bar of California
The District of Columbia Bar
State Bar of Georgia
Maryland State Bar Association
Chair, Membership Committee
Fellow, Leadership Academy
- 2003-04 Law Clerk, Hon. C. Christopher Hagy, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Bill Sinclair is a partner at Silverman Thompson Slutkin & White, LLC where he practices in the areas of complex civil litigation, including toxic torts, real estate and business litigation, and personal injury, and white-collar criminal defense.
Class actions have constituted a significant part of Mr. Sinclair’s practice. He was co-lead counsel in a Federal class action against a local municipality that resulted in significant monetary and injunctive relief for his clients and was co-lead defense counsel in a State putative class action product liability suit against a local utility. He currently serves as co-lead counsel in the defense of three putative class actions involving RESPA and other real estate matters, one of which is pending in Federal court and another of which is on appeal to the Maryland Court of Special Appeals after the defense convinced a Howard County Circuit Judge to deny class certification and dismiss plaintiffs’ claims.
Other significant matters include:
• Successfully compelled arbitration of Federal complaint, essentially dismissing the case;
• Obtained dismissal of State tort claims against individual physicians in business dispute;
• Member of litigation team that obtained a $1.8 million dollar verdict in complex insurance case;
• Successfully defended the issuance of a Clean Water Act permit necessary to the development of a new rail facility;
• Obtained declaratory relief for a developer in a dispute with residents over use of a private beach;
• Successfully defended a State agency decision to proceed with a new highway project;
• Successfully defended a health care provider against Federal fraud and kickback charges.
Mr. Sinclair has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law since 2009. Prior to moving to Baltimore and joining STSW, Mr. Sinclair was an associate at Alston + Bird LLP in Atlanta and Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. in Washington, DC.
Mr. Sinclair graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, Editor-in-Chief of the Virginia Environmental Law Journal, and Head Commissioner of the North Grounds Softball League, and the University of California at San Diego, where he was Phi Beta Kappa and received Highest Honors in History. While in college, Mr. Sinclair was captain of the Men’s Division I Varsity Volleyball team and the recipient of several academic and athletic awards.
Who Rules the Roost? CWA Liability After Md. Ruling, Product Liability Law360, Portfolio Media Group (September 2010)
Status Check: Assessing Interior’s Implementation of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Sustainable Development Law & Policy, Vol. VII, Issue 3 (Spring 2007)
Future of the “Feeney Amendment” After High Court’s Sentencing Rulings, Legal Backgrounder, 2005