J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2002
B.A., University of California at San Diego, 1999
Magna Cum Laude
JurisdictionsDistrict of Columbia
State of California
State of Georgia
State of Maryland
United States District Court: Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California; District of Columbia; Northern District of Georgia; District of Maryland
United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
Bar Association for Baltimore City
Baltimore County Bar Association
State Bar of California
The District of Columbia Bar
State Bar of Georgia
Maryland State Bar Association
Chair, Membership Committee
Fellow, Leadership Academy
- 2003-04 Law Clerk, Hon. C. Christopher Hagy, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Bill Sinclair is the partner-in-charge of the Firm’s Business Litigation Group, where he practices in the areas of white-collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation, including toxic torts, real estate and business litigation, and personal injury, and Trusts and Estates Group, where he handles all the Firm’s trusts and estates related litigation. He also handles select transactional matters for clients.
Class actions constitute a significant part of Mr. Sinclair’s practice. He was co-lead plaintiff’s counsel in a Federal class action against a local municipality that resulted in significant monetary and injunctive relief for his clients and was co-lead defense counsel in a State putative class action product liability suit against a local utility that resulted in a significant defense win. He currently serves as co-lead plaintiffs’ counsel in the National Hockey League Concussion Litigation and as co-lead defense counsel in a series of putative and certified class actions in Maryland involving RESPA and other real estate matters.
Other significant matters include:
• Obtained dismissal of RESPA count against title company which was upheld before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals;
• Successfully compelled arbitration of Federal complaint, essentially dismissing the case;
• Obtained dismissal of State tort claims against individual physicians in business dispute;
• Member of litigation team that obtained a $1.8 million dollar verdict in complex insurance case;
• Successfully defended the issuance of a Clean Water Act permit necessary to the development of a new rail facility;
• Obtained declaratory relief for a developer in a dispute with residents over use of a private beach;
• Successfully defended a State agency decision to proceed with a new highway project;
• Successfully defended a health care provider against Federal fraud and kickback charges.
Mr. Sinclair has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law since 2009. Prior to moving to Baltimore and joining STSW, Mr. Sinclair was an associate at Alston + Bird LLP in Atlanta and Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. in Washington, DC.
Mr. Sinclair graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, Editor-in-Chief of the Virginia Environmental Law Journal, and Head Commissioner of the North Grounds Softball League, and the University of California at San Diego, where he was Phi Beta Kappa and received Highest Honors in History. While in college, Mr. Sinclair was captain of the Men’s Division I Varsity Volleyball team and the recipient of several academic and athletic awards.
Who Rules the Roost? CWA Liability After Md. Ruling, Product Liability Law360, Portfolio Media Group (September 2010)
Status Check: Assessing Interior’s Implementation of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Sustainable Development Law & Policy, Vol. VII, Issue 3 (Spring 2007)
Future of the “Feeney Amendment” After High Court’s Sentencing Rulings, Legal Backgrounder, 2005