Edward P. ParentMember
J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 2006
Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers
B.A., The Johns Hopkins University, 2000
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2010
Maryland State Bar Association
Bar Association of Baltimore City
- 2006-2007: Judicial Law Clerk, The Honorable John Philip Miller, Circuit Court for Baltimore City
- 2005: Judicial Intern, The Honorable Paul W. Grimm, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Ned Parent is an experienced and versatile litigator, focusing his practice on complex civil litigation, utilizing his unique analytical skillset to offer his clients efficient and effective representation. His practice includes representing corporations and individuals in business disputes, as well as in various administrative and regulatory matters before, for example, the Office of the Maryland Attorney General, the Baltimore City Board of Zoning Appeals, and the Maryland Insurance Administration.
Notably, Mr. Parent also leads the firm’s burgeoning fiduciary litigation practice, handling matters related to estates, trusts, and guardianships. Such matters include the prosecution or defense of will contests (or caveats), petitions for will construction or interpretation, disputes among trust beneficiaries, petitions seeking judicial assumption of jurisdiction over a trust, and contested guardianship proceedings. Frequently, these matters include a mixture of these issues, resulting in highly complex disputes through which Mr. Parent deftly navigates his clients.
Mr. Parent has extensive trial, appellate, and arbitration experience, and has litigated matters in State and Federal courts not only in Maryland but also throughout the United States, including (for example) the District of Columbia, Texas, and Nevada.
Prior to joining Silverman Thompson Slutkin White, LLC in 2011, Mr. Parent worked for more than four years as an associate at Venable LLP, where he represented corporations, individuals, and local municipalities and organizations in various complex commercial and contract matters.
- View Point Medical Systems, LLC v. Athena Health, Inc., 9 F.Supp.3d 588 (D. Md. 2014);
- Mr. Parent recently secured a significant monetary and property settlement on behalf of his client in a dispute involving the disposition of numerous trusts and title over real property.
- Following a three-day trial, obtained a favorable verdict for a homeowner in a complex home improvement dispute;
- Obtained summary judgment for the estate of a deceased attorney on claims for legal malpractice;
- In a dispute involving the reconstruction of a commercial structure in Harford County, Maryland, Mr. Parent won a mid-six figure award for his client following a four-day arbitration hearing;
- In a contract action in U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, secured a six-figure settlement for a national diagnostic reference laboratory without the need for discovery;
- Obtained dismissal of a $1 million complaint for defamation brought against a Federal employee;
- Mr. Parent has secured multiple six-figure life insurance settlements on behalf of his clients without the need for litigation;
- Secured a nearly six-figure settlement from a major national insurance carrier in a property insurance coverage dispute without the need for litigation;
- Successfully represented owners of a complex of retirement homes in obtaining liability insurance coverage from various insurance carriers arising from an outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease. Mr. Parent’s representation ensured that these insurance carriers fulfilled their defense and coverage obligations to his client throughout the duration of two lawsuits filed as a result of this outbreak;
- Helped secure the voluntary dismissal of a SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) suit brought against a Baltimore City political blogger.
- Participated in the defense of property-based claims brought by a consolidated group of hundreds of plaintiffs, including through a five-month trial in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County.
Mr. Parent has been recognized as a Rising Star by Maryland Super Lawyers in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.